Sunday, July 24, 2011

Food Trucks, a Celebrity Sighting, and Elvis

Just another typical Sunday in beautiful Orange County, CA.  Or to be more specific, a typical day in the Orange County Great Park.  Every Sunday the Great Park has a modest Farmers Market from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.  Now that I am eating healthier, going to a Farmers Market seems like a responsible thing to do.  Of course I still went to the Farmers Markets when I was eating everything in sight.  The main difference now is that I only get free samples from the fruit stands and try not to look at the cookie, cake, and ice cream vendors. 

Despite the less than stellar roster of produce merchants at the Great Park Farmers Market, there are some added attractions that makes this Farmers Market special.  FOOD TRUCKS!  And not just a couple but 8 to 10 depending on the weekend.  I love food trucks.  Being the food nerd that I am, I do not think I will ever grow tired of the creative fusion on flavors that you can only get from a kitchen on wheels. 

Eating healthy is not always the easiest thing to do when ordering off a food truck.  Lucky for me, the Seabirds truck was there.  Seabirds has a 100% plant based menu and they source their produce from local farmers.  In other words they're vegan. As much as I like to knock the vegan movement, I will save that rant for another time because the Seabirds truck knocked one out of the part this afternoon with their Grilled Watermelon Salad. 

Grilled Watermelon Salad from the Seabirds Truck.
This delightful summer treat was grilled watermelon with organic heirloom tomatoes, raw almond feta (which is just finely chopped almonds seasoned to have the flavor of feta cheese) fresh basil and sea salt.  It was served warm and was unbelievably refreshing. 

I knew the grilled watermelon was safe, even though I shouldn't be eating almonds on this phase of my diet.  However, I was willing to make a sacrifice.  One of the other food trucks was a little less forgiving with their offerings.  I shuddered when I saw one of my favorite food trucks, Bacon Mania.  This is the type of food truck I worship.  In my book, bacon is a sacred food.  In fact bacon might be my favorite food on the planet. 

But the good people at Bacon Mania weren't so cruel today because they had a bacon, lettuce, avocado and tomato sandwich served on a whole wheat bun and decorated with chipotle mayo.  This sandwich was simply called B.L.A.T. on their menu.


The B.L.A.T. from Bacon Mania.
 I swear I only had a few bites of this sandwich but it was soooo good.  If you ever want a treat, follow Bacon Mania on Twitter and go to one of their stops.  Everything they make is legendary.

Besides the food trucks I did see a celebrity at the Great Park Farmers Market.  Or to be correct I had a celebrity pointed out to me who I had no idea who she was.  Apparently Peggy from the Real Housewives of Orange County was this thin woman with blonde hair wearing a fleur-de-lis baseball cap and giant sunglasses.  Since I don't watch any of the housewives shows I cannot say for certain it was her but everyone around me at the time was all a buzz that she was there.  Personally, I thought she looked old and frail.

And finally, the coolest part of the farmers market today was the Elvis impersonator who performed dressed in a full white jumpsuit in the afternoon sun.  This guy was really good and there were some older women there who got up and danced with the King.  OC Elvis even passed out signature scarves to some of his swooning fans. 

Yep, just another typical day in Orange County.

No comments:

Post a Comment