Sunday, July 3, 2011

July 3, 2011 - Breakfast

The original motivation for starting this blog was to have an online food journal.  However, in a week I haven't written down one thing that I have eaten.  So here it goes.

7:00 a.m. - Hot Water with Lemon
This was recommended as a great way to start the day by Dr. Moreno has been my morning ritual from the beginning.  All I do is take a coffee mug full of water, put it in the microwave for 2 minutes and then squeeze half a lemon into it.  Supposedly the lemon juice helps signal your stomach to begin digestion.

8:00 a.m. - Kefir Smoothie
 This is another Dr. Moreno recipe that I love.  I had never tried Kefor before this diet but I do love it.  Kefir is a probiotic milk that you can substitute for a serving of yogurt.  It's very acidic tasting, kind of like buttermilk, but it makes a great tart smoothie.  Here's my recipe.

1 Cup Kefir (plain, unsweetened and low fat)
1/2 Cup frozen peaches
1/2 cup frozen blueberries
1 Tablespoon Agave Nectar

Blend for one minute and drink immediately.

Here's are two recommendations for making a great smoothie. 
  1. Always use frozen fruit.  The ice crystals that develop during the freezing process tear through the cell walls of the fruit.  This helps the fruit breakdown to a more drinkable consistency during blending.
  2. Add all of the ingredients to the blender carafe the night before.  By mixing the ingredients the night before, the frozen fruit will have time to thaw a little in the refrigerator.  This will prevent you from having frozen chunks of unblended fruit in the morning.  Additionally, by doing all of the prep work the night before you won't have the excuse not to eat breakfast in the morning if you wake up late.  Throw the carafe on the base and blend away.
I'm off to Disneyland this afternoon for some exercise.  I'm going to see what I can find there that is healthy for lunch.  I'll report the rest of the day's menu later.

No comments:

Post a Comment